RSAU licenses the right to perform songs and musical works created and owned by the songwriters, composers, lyricists and music publishers and also those members of foreign performing rights organizations who are represented by RSAU in RWANDA.Therefore if what you intend doing include playing music for client/public consumption, you need an RSAU license before you can proceed.

Music is an essential element of our daily lives

Music is played in almost every company. Consider, for example, offices, factories, company restaurants, warehouses, supermarkets, shops, department stores, hotel and catering establishments, but also lifts, car parks, hospitals, swimming pools, sports canteens and gyms. And whether the music is used as background music, light music or on hold music – a license is needed for practically any kind of music.

What does a license cost?

This will differ per organization. The cost of a license depends on several factors, including the industry in which you operate. You can find the rate that applies to your particular situation in the appropriate tariff at RSAU, where you can also directly take out a license.

Group benefits

RSAU has concluded group contracts with many associations where business owners are grouped. This will allow you to benefit from a group discount on one or more RSAU rates. Please contact your association directly for more information on this.

Change your licence

Has the floor area of your restaurant or shop, etc. increased? Or has your company perhaps recently downsized? This may affect your license. Please notify us of any changes as soon as possible, to avoid paying too little or too much.

Your license is based on a number of factors, such as square meters, sector and size. Your rates may change if anything changes in one of these factors.

If you wish to report a change further to an invoice received from the Copyright Licensing department, you must do so within three months of the date of the invoice. Your changes can be reported via the following options:

E-mail the change to rsau.rw@gmail.com
Call the telephone number +250788261524

If your license is part of a group arrangement of a trade association, please submit any changes to the secretarial office of your trade association.

The submission of a change request has no suspensive force. Your change request will be handled as quickly as possible – at the latest within two weeks after receipt.


What do you need a license for?

Holding a RSAU license helps you legally use or play music. Use the list below to find the license you need.

Why do I need a license?

You can’t play music publicly without one. Copyright laws require music users to get permission from songwriters and composers who can charge a fee before their music is played publicly, which then allows them to continue to create music.

How do I license?

Most music users seek for a license at RSAU. If online licensing is not available for your business, you can call +250788261524.